Sunday, August 23, 2009

Our Hairstory



I finished the book, Hairstory and wish I had brought it along to school with me to share with my pal Simone and many other girls I meet. This book tells the story of black hair from its cultural message in Africa up to today. Hairstory has taught me many things about what is --surprisingly, to other cultures and races-- a big issue.

I stumbled upon Hairstory on Amazon while searching for a natural hair care book shortly before cutting my hair. While it's not a natural haircare book, the chance to learn about why we face the current hair issues that we do was quite intriguing.

I now know why there is a history of disdain for the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (membership was exclusive to the most euro-centric of blacks: light skinned, naturally straight hair), and why some see Madame C. J. Walker as a pillar of black achievement, while others see her as grim picture of our deep-rooted xenocentrism, (which she then got rich from.) I can picture it sitting in my old room now and want it to just appear here.

1 comments:

MissBrandiss said...

You just reminded me that I need to finish this book! Shamefully, I have only read the first few pages. LOL