Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Quest for Hair That Moves

Right now (2:42 pm Eastern Time), on BET there's a competition show running called "Tears, Shears, and Beauty." In the show, women and men of various hairstyle groups parade down the runway showcasing the, er, work and talent of each hairstylist. I have nothing against these stylists, making their living, etc, but for me, the creativity seems to be lacking, as no stylists has figured out a way to show off what comes naturally to us.

While there are some short cuts, each group has a dance to do, which results in a lot of twisting and flipping of long brown, black-red, white, blonde and even orange weaves: all, in the quest for hair that moves, straight.
Now, I know there are competitions like this all the time, but to witness it, and to witness how seriously these stylists and groups take themselves and their work, it makes me sad. Can you truly be proud of your uncanny ability to sew some bleached blonde indian "virgin hand-sewn weft" hair onto another person's head? And can another, as the client hold their head high with something on top that is not theirs?

Hm. I didn't notice any stylists even mentioning natural.

Maybe they don't think there is a way.
All of us who wore relaxers and weaves have been guilty of this, and a year or two ago this show may have even captivated me. 
The quest for hair that moves has ingrained in us even further, that our sisters will hold onto their blonde wigs at all costs.

Love.
Jade

PS. I should note that I am not as against weaves as I am relaxers. I know the uses of weaves as protective styling. But..why bone straight? Why blonde?
Why the addiction? These women won't leave the house unless their weave is up to date, spending hundreds of dollars to hide a piece of themselves.
It's like plastic surgery. Without the surgery.

0 comments: