Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Pet Peeve

Normally I don't complain here (...I think) but a particular phrase I see often in natural hair world is irking me.

"Going Natural": a. Deciding to no longer straighten your hair, most often cutting off or growing out the permanently straightened relaxed hair. b. Accepting the kinky, curly, nappy, hair that unaffectedly grows from your head.

This is the phrase we have given to our new category of self-love.
But
Is it just me, or does "going" signify it as some other path, a different one then the one you were born walking? "Going Natural" sounds like you're doing something that
It's an oxymoron. Or rather, I feel quite a bit of us don't realize that the going, while being a forward path is also returning, that this new, thick hair is the same fluffy stuff from childhood.
"Going Natural" sounds like you're doing something that didn't happen before.

This is a rant, as I haven't any idea what to call it instead.
Perhaps
"Becoming Natural"?
"Returning to Natural"?
Transcendence? Since we all did, just a little bit.
Restoration?
Hmm. I like Becoming.
What do you think?
Or am I just thinking too hard? Fresa says I do that all the time.

0 comments: