Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reconnecting to Move Forward

When I started this blog, I tried to find a name that would catch the ear and still be relevant. Suddenly, I thought about a conversation I had a while ago with an acquaintance of mine with a cool name.

Fonti and I were chatting on Facebook when the topic turned to my recent haircut. I hardly transitioned; I was afraid to have short hair, which is the main reason I ran to the clippers. Heh. I explained about my decision to go natural.

"For me...going natural is really a return. I'm going back to my original self, getting reacquainted with the way God made me."
I realize even more now that that is what is happening, and that is the way. I had to reconnect with my natural being before I could move forward and grow into a better person.

My decision to stop relaxing and cut my hair has yielded more than just a new do. I had to redefine my standard of beauty to accept all different kinds. I have focused on my health more, wanted my hair and skin to flourish, so I pay more attention to what I put on and in my body. I look at all the lotions and potions I used in the past and wonder how my skin didn't just fall off! Yet, something else has occurred. I'm trying to improve my outsides and insides physically, and I'm focusing even more on improving my true inside: my personality, my soul. This is the most important change. I'm stopping all the gossip, lies, and betrayal that plague female friendships. I try not to constantly complain and focus on what I am blessed with. I stop myself from saying the first hurtful thing that pops into my head just because my boyfriend made me angry. I tell my temper that it is not the boss of me. I am more aware of myself and how I affect others around me. I now aspire more than I ever did to be a better person, to be beautiful inside and out, realizing that when you have inner beauty, the outside all falls into place.

Has anyone else felt this? What have you realized on your natural journey?

0 comments: